I have a set of guile scripts that I use to produce a rarely needed report. Today I tried to run the report and guile failed because it couldn’t find libltdl. No problem, I thought, it probably got wiped out when I upgraded to Lion. So I grabbed a new copy and compiled and installed it. Guile still failed because I installed version 5 of libltdl and guile had been compiled against version 3. Grrr. OK, I’ll just recompile guile. Again, no joy. The guile build failed while it was trying to generate the documentation. No amount of fooling around would get it to compile. I downloaded a copy of the latest version (2.0.5) and tried compiling that: same result.
Next, I checked the bug database and sure enough, it’s a known problem. The original bug was filed about a month ago but there’s no fix or workaround available yet. In the mean time, I’m dead in the water as far as Scheme is concerned. I guess I’ll be doing a lot of CL work in the mean time. That’s OK because I’ve been working mostly in CL lately anyway but I hate not having a working guile.
If anyone out there has any wisdom to offer on this problem, please share it in the comments.